1. Welcome to MotorMavens.net - The premiere car culture community!
    You are viewing this site as a guest.

and share your favorite aspects of car culture with others. can create their own profile pages, photo galleries & participate in our regular photo contests!

Coronado Speed Festival Celebrates Vintage Racing

Discussion in 'Meets, Shows, Events, & Roadtrips' started by KennyMcPantless, Dec 28, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

Every year, the runways at Naval Station Coronado-North Island are shut down and converted into a race track. Over this weekend in what is part of San Diego Fleet Week, some of the cleanest and fastest vintage race cars south of Sonoma gather to race each other for pride and to put on a show for our troops. I have been fortunate enough to have been invited to this event for the last two years and it is always a blast. Over the two days I was there, I took close to 3,000 photos (not all were usable) but I was able to come away with around 1,200-1,500 images and this is a selection of some of my favorites from the weekend.

Hope you enjoy! B9lXR (640x427).jpg LVTBI (640x427).jpg vSoEx (640x427).jpg
    At this corner, if I leaned over the rail a bit and zoomed a bit, it felt like the cars were about to drive up the lens! It was definitely a rush.
  2. Maybe this should be under Race stuff huh?
  3. Antonio Alvendia

Antonio Alvendia Editor in Chief, MotorMavens Staff Member

Nah, this is fine I think! More photos please! This looks AWESOME so far!
  4. As promised, more! This is a small sampling from only the first day of the festival.I'll post more from the second day in the next couple of days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Antonio Alvendia

Dude these vintage Benzes are so sick! Do you know what year/model they are? The only thing is... the rollbars kill it for me. I understand they probably had to be to some sort of VARA or HSR West specifications... but I wish they looked cooler and more period looking. Or had some more style to them. Maybe have the cage be double hoops like the ones in Miatas? Or maybe make it chrome? IDK. They look like boilerplate off the shelf Autopower rollbars... and if I had a dope old Benz like that, I'd do a custom cage FOR SURE.

6. Yeah, they all have to up to VARA and HSR West standards so roll bars for verts and period spec cages for the hardtops. I know literally nothing about the Benzes, I was running around like a nut these two days becasue there was a new group going out every 20 minutes and I was trying to mix up angles and shots so I didn't get the same shot every time.
  7. Antonio Alvendia

I gotta research them. These Benzos are SO DAMN CLASSY! I love em.

8. If I'm not mistaken, it was an HMSA event but I checked their site and while they have a gallery, there are no captions. Let me check around my place to see if I still have the program from the event.
  9. Antonio Alvendia

Word. Sounds good! Cause that's all I need. To learn more about vintage Benzes so I want one real bad, then buy another car that I don't have space for. haha

10. Ha! Yeah, you can't even keep a set of wheels in your garage right now. Reminds me, I should really be going through the Day 2 pics.