1. Welcome to MotorMavens.net - The premiere car culture community!
    You are viewing this site as a guest.

and share your favorite aspects of car culture with others. can create their own profile pages, photo galleries & participate in our regular photo contests!

1990 FC3S RX-7 GTUs DYI: Body/Paint/Mechanic Project

Discussion in 'Builds' started by PeterJun, Dec 28, 2012.

1. PeterJun

PeterJun New Member

About me: I have been a rotary enthusiast since my first ride in one back in 1991, A 1989 Turbo II in Black. This is actually my 34th rotary out of the 37 I been through! Yes 37 rotary cars only, they were a lot easier to find 10 years ago they were a big part of my life. The FC3S 89-91 RX7's and I shared some great memories together. If I could not understand anything else in this world, the FC3S will likely be my solace and provides great company on my drives. Here I am 19 years later, still driving a RX-7, I figured this one will be my last FC3S 86-91 RX7 model. I will be doing all the work myself, engine, paint and body work, suspension, and so forth. Over the years I picked up many skills which allow me to do all my own work so I can fully appreciate it and have it done "My Way."

About this Project:
    I bought this car earlier in 2012, located in Los Angeles so I took a flight down from the Bay Area. There only 100 1990 RX-7 GTUs produced in North America and 10 black ones. Yes you heard that right, you are looking at 1 of 10 non re stamped models. What made these special was the 4.30 VLSD, the only non turbo RX7 with VLSD and smaller ratio gearing. It also came with an aluminum hood, which were the only non turbos that came from the factory that way. No power windows, rear wiper, no sunroof (hard to find in coupe models)there are a few more things that make these special and sought after. The car needs some body work and had 174k miles on the original engine!! Still running strong and made it back 400+ miles with the leading and trailing plug wires reversed on the rear rotor. Here are some photos of the progress to date but moving has slowed me down a little. I plan on restoring the car and adding slight performance enhancements for handling and power. Noting far out but I don't plan on cutting many corners either, especially in the important areas like reliability. Improving acceleration, handling, cooling, braking are on the list while making them close to fail-safe as can be.I already got a KOYO N-Flow for the car, one of the most important things that need upgrading on all rx7's.! I am not great at telling stories but good with photos of the progress so here we go.

4-20-2012
    [​IMG]

Fixing the dents on drivers side that the car came with
    [​IMG]

Stud welder to pull the steel out, way better then drilling holes
    [​IMG]

Welded studs
    [​IMG]

Pulling and removing studs
    [​IMG]

Now that looks pretty straight
    [​IMG]

At this point I purchased a low miles replacement motor
    [​IMG]

More parts and fluids for the build
    [​IMG]

Replacing the rear stationary gear O-ring
    [​IMG]

New O-ring and rear main seal
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. PeterJun

PeterJun New Member

3. PeterJun

PeterJun New Member

I am not even going to start on a list of parts that I have for the engine swap but I am sure you can make out most of them!
    [​IMG]

I already have a KOYO N-Flow but could use a spare for racing, just in case, because you never know what might jump up and pop it!
    [​IMG]

Cleaning off road race headers for paint

[​IMG]
    Masked for paint
    [​IMG]

Painted and they came out real nice.
    [​IMG]

Installing oil baffle plate to help with the oil.
    [​IMG]

Be very liberal with the RTV, the package said red but this looks more like orange
    [​IMG]

Now we have the oil pan and engine mount on
    [​IMG]

5/6th port sleeves
    [​IMG]

Some port work to the lower intake manifold
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oil pellet bypass, helps keep the rotors flowing with oil
    [​IMG]
  4. PeterJun

PeterJun New Member

Keeping the electronic oil metering pump so replace the o rings there also, if this fails you get no oil to lubricate the combustion chamber but I also use 2-stroke oil in my gas.
    [​IMG]

Following TQ specifications is pretty important so i took out the wrench
    [​IMG]

Engine is coming together nicely
    [​IMG]

More hoses, seals & gaskets for the engine, oh and a new water pump
    [​IMG]

Flywheel and upper manifold
    [​IMG]

Nice new water pump for test fitting
    [​IMG]

New silicone vacuum hoses and painted the hardlines flat black
    [​IMG]

New oil injection lines
    [​IMG]

Balanced and blueprinted injectors from RC Engineering! Thank to the guys there for the years of quality service and sponsoring me.
    [​IMG]

Have to modify the nipple so I decided to go with blue![​IMG]

New nipple installed and compared to the old one. I like shiny parts!
    [​IMG]

Just got my brake cooling ducts in the mail
    [​IMG]

Mazdaspeed front lip with OEM side skiers but I sold the skirts for some RE-A replicas.
    [​IMG]

Sending my ECU out for an upgrade, Fuel/Ignition management.
    [​IMG]

painting the old water pump for a racing spare in case the new one fails and also new seals.
    [​IMG]

I started moving to my new home 150 miles away so the project has been idle for 2 months now.
    I have a nice warn garage to work in and not a cold outdoor car port during the winter which helps.
    Moving all the parts and engine so far takes time but I hope to do more after the new years.
    Here she is sitting in the new driveway a month ago.
    [​IMG]

After I made enough space to park in the garage I started taking the car apart to prepare for the engine swap like taking the radiator panels apart and such
    [​IMG]

I was honored to have my photo featured on the Racing Beat website. They built a few Bonneville 200+MPH Top Speed RX7's.

[​IMG]

I have a few more things on order to complete this project like side skirts, tires for my wheels, paint materials, more bushings, and so forth! I will keep this post updated as the build comes along.
    If you would like to view all/more photos feel free to follow me @ http://pinterest.com/peterjun/project-dark-angel-1990-mazda-rx7-gtus-build-2012/ also!
    Antonio Alvendia likes this.
  5. Antonio Alvendia

Antonio Alvendia Editor in Chief, MotorMavens Staff Member

Nice to see some more ROTARY heads up in here! Now THIS is a detailed build thread!!! Great work, man! Keep it coming!

PeterJun likes this.
  6. PeterJun

PeterJun New Member

Thank You Antonio,
  7. uchepowrFC

uchepowrFC New Member

Where did you get those new Oil injection lines? Mine are yellow and nasty lookin.
  8. PeterJun

PeterJun New Member

Hey uchepowrFC, Ordered brand new from Mazda, depending if you have a mazdaspeed motorsports account or not prices range from 100-138ish for the set.
  9. uchepowrFC

uchepowrFC New Member

Got it, no Mazdaspeed account, but I should probably get one of those. Cool thanks! I'll hit up my local mazda dealer for a set.